Merrill Mason, JD
With extensive experience representing technology and life sciences companies, Merrill Mason represents entrepreneurial and emerging enterprises.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Merrill co-founded Triangle-based Hutchison + Mason in 1996 where his leadership helped the firm grow to 20 lawyers specializing in meeting the general corporate needs of technology and life sciences companies.
Passionate about working with developing entrepreneurs and law students, Merrill has taught as an adjunct instructor at the University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School and the University of North Carolina School of Law.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Best Lawyers®, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice; Securities/Capital Markets Law; Venture Capital Law (2007-2021)
- Best Lawyers®,”Lawyer of the Year,” Raleigh Venture Capital Law (2020)
- Business North Carolina’s Legal Elite
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (Business/Corporate)
- Recipient of Entrepreneurial Excellence Award for Outstanding Service to Entrepreneurs from the Council for Entrepreneurial Developmentwww.SmithLaw.com
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Board of Advisors, University of North Carolina School of Law Institute for Innovation
- Member, Board of Directors, North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- Member, Triangle Angel Partners II, LLC Executive Committee
- Member, Triangle Angel Partners I, LLC Executive Committee
- Member, IDEA Fund Partners Advisory Board
- Past Member, Board of Directors of Council for Entrepreneurial Development
- Past Member, Executive Committee of Council for Entrepreneurial Development
- Past Member, Board of Directors of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Foundation Investment Fund, Inc.
- Past Member, Board of Directors of A Ban Against Neglect, Inc.
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors of The Green Chair Project, Inc.